Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

smart.

One day I will run a trashy tabloid. Until then, this will have to suffice.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Fantasia was illiterate during Idol

Sept. 30, 2005 — Fantasia Barrino's debut, platinum-selling album included the song, "Truth Is," and that sentiment is the overriding theme in her memoirs. Two years after winning "American Idol" as a high school dropout and struggling single mother, the 21-year-old is riding high with her success. She's about to go on tour, is embarking on an acting career, and is publishing her memoirs which reveal dark secrets from her past. The singer, known to her fans as simply Fantasia, admits that while charming American television viewers and wooing the judges to become a pop star, she was hiding the fact that she was barely able to read or write. "You're illiterate to just about everything. You don't want to misspell," Fantasia told "20/20." "So that, for me, kept me … in a box and I didn't, wouldn't come out." Her illiteracy kept her from even trying to get a job before her stint on television. "I was so ashamed and I was like, 'What will people say about me?' I can't get a job," she said. Fudging Her Way Through the Lyrics The singer describes herself as functionally illiterate, and is brutally honest about her challenges in her new memoir, "Life is Not a Fairy Tale," which she dictated to a freelance writer. Reading even simple things, she acknowledges, is difficult. She can barely make out or pronounce unfamiliar words. So how was she able to perform on the scripted portions of "American Idol"? Fantasia said she would fake it and apologize if she pronounced something incorrectly. "Somebody would say, 'You know, it's pronounced this way' and I'd be like, 'Oh, I'm sorry, you know, I'm country, you know." [ABC]

1 Comments:

  • At 9/30/2005 07:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    PHP Web tool developer Zend lures big-name backers
    Web pioneer Marc Andreessen has joined the board of directors of Zend Technologies Inc., the Israeli-American company behind the PHP programming craze that has become one of the most popular tool for Web site ...
    Thanks for the info, I added you to my favorites.

    If you are interested in make money fast I have a make money fast site.

    Feel free to drop by and tell me what you think.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home