Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

smart.

One day I will run a trashy tabloid. Until then, this will have to suffice.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

George Bush hates Brokeback Mountain

Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal shouldn't expect a White House invitation anytime soon. Fielding questions from students on Monday after he delivered an address at Kansas State University, President Bush was asked about this year's most honored movie, Brokeback Mountain, which stars the two actors as cowboys who fall in love with each other. "You're a rancher," a young man in the crowd of thousands of students and professors said to the president. "A lot of us here in Kansas are ranchers. I was just wanting to get your opinion on Brokeback Mountain, if you've seen it yet." As the crowd erupted in laughter, President Bush was reported to have flinched, then responded: "I haven't seen it. I'll be glad to talk about ranching, but I haven't seen the movie." The young questioner would not be dismissed. "You would love it," he told Bush. "You should check it out." "I've heard about it," the president admitted. "I hope you go – you know." Once again the hall filled with laughter, of the nervous variety. Even the president reportedly appeared to chuckle, before clarifying his remark. "I hope you go back to the ranch and the farm is what I'm about to say," Bush said. Further clarifying the president's statement, White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan e-mailed the Los Angeles Times: "The student indicated he was a rancher. The president was simply saying he hopes he goes back to the ranch. Ranchers and farmers are an important part of our society." [People]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home